The Careers Department is one of the most popular departments at the Academy. The Department's main aim is to prepare students for the world of work by focusing on linking students to the real world of work, through expert lectures, mentoring, workplace visits, placements and internships. The work experience programme is one of the most successful projects the Careers run with almost 100% applications throughout a whole year group.
Paddington Academy is pleased to hold the Investor in Careers Award. The Award is a quality standard for the management of careers education and guidance (CEG) in schools and FE colleges.
It is 'a quality standard for the management of careers education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) in schools and FE colleges and is now widely used across the country involving hundreds of schools and FE colleges. The use of independent external assessors/panel helps give the award credence.'
Key Stage 3
- Career lessons during tutor time, themes include career aspirations, making choices
- Year 9 - Option choices support
Key Stage 4
- Career lessons during tutor time, themes include skills for work, Apprenticeships and Post 16 choices.
- Year 10 – Opportunity to benefit from a business mentor
- Year 10 - Work experience – during February Half Term
- Year 10 - Mock interview day and preparation
- Year 11 - One to one career guidance interviews for all
Key Stage 5
- Careers lessons during tutor time on looking for part time work, employability skills, Apprenticeships
- Year 12 - Opportunity to benefit from a business mentor
- Year 12 – STEM Career Academy
- Year 12 – Envision – Social Action project where students address community issues
Open to all:
A variety of careers talks – students can sign up for voluntarily
Visits to employers – students can increase their awareness of different careers and industries
University workshops – students can learn about different courses and university life
Apprenticeships – Apprentices from different companies talk about their experience and let students know how they can apply
Industry weeks – Every half term we offer students the chance to learn about a different industry. Students can sign up for workshops, visits, talks and work experience in the following sectors: Construction and Engineering, Healthcare and Medicine, Media and Creative Industries, Legal Careers, IT and Hospitality.
Drop in careers support – available in the Careers Office – Room 112
A Career Academy is a programme that prepares Year 12 students for the world of work. The model focuses on linking students to employers through master classes, mentoring, workplace visits and internships. Our Career Academy specialisms are Science and Business.
Business in the Community
John Laing has been our Business in the Community Partner for a number of years and supports our staff and students through a variety of activities. These include mentoring, IT training, workshops and visits and work experience.
Year 10 – All students are offered the opportunity to do a week’s work experience during February Half Term.
Year 12 – Students studying Business and Health & Social Care are offered a two week work placement, in a place of work which relates to their subject area.
Director of Careers - Laura Snow
Michelene Hinkson - Careers & Enterprise Officer: Michelene.firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenny Daykin - External Careers Consultant: email@example.com
Office number: 020 7479 3954