What will students learn?
Students build on topics covered in KS3 in much greater depth and with increasing complexity. The content is highly sequenced to ensure that the most important structures and vocabulary are revisited frequently and to ensure confident language acquisition.
Throughout years 10 and 11, students are guided through specific exam skills for listening, reading, writing, translation and speaking, and these are modelled and practised in every lesson in order to successfully prepare students for the demands of the four exams in year 11.
In KS4 students will study
- Me and my relationships
- Technology and free time
- School and future plans
- Holidays and celebrations
- The environment and social issues
- Revision of all KS4 content, grammar and structures
- Exam skill practice
How will students receive feedback?
At Paddington, all students will receive regular feedback from formative assessment tasks. Within the curriculum, specific tasks are allocated for feedback. This ensures all students gain regular feedback. Teachers will mark student work and provide targeted feedback that enables students to improve their work and make progress. To support student understanding, teachers plan high-quality re-teach time to prepare students for their feedback. Across each term, students will receive feedback from multiple tasks.
What examinations / assessments do students have at the end of KS4?
Exam board: AQA
Students will sit four exams at the end of KS4.
Paper 1 - Listening Exam - 35 minutes Foundation Tier, 45 Higher Tier
Paper 2 - Speaking Exam - 10-15 minutes
Paper 3 - Reading Exam - 45 minutes Foundation Tier, 1hour Higher Tier
Paper 4 - Writing Exam - 1hour Foundation Tier, 1hour 15 minutes Higher Tier
What resources can be used to support learning?
- The 100% books contain the knowledge organisers with core knowledge for each cycle. Students can use this to revise key information through self-quizzing.
- Students should use the website ‘memrise’ to practice vocabulary. Every week, a new course with vocabulary will be set on memrise.
- Students in KS4 have a carefully selected revision guide that covers the content of the course and provides a set of exam questions.
- Students in KS4 have been given Verb tables and Golden phrases documents to support both grammar and language acquisition.
- The United Learning curriculum website has resources and lessons that can be used to support and extend the content covered in lessons.